Tuesday, June 17, 2008

La Vida Egypt

We are in the last days of school now, in fact there are really only 3 days left. I am a little sad because the kids are so much fun and the teachers aren't bad either :)

However summer school is kicking into high gear and a week after regular school ends camp starts. Each of us working at camp has to come up with ideas and themes for summer camp, my theme days are P.E.I. and Newfoundland. I'm having the kids do a huge mural for Newfoundland day, should be fun.

Today I have a pretty full schedule. First thing I am teaching grade 6 drama, and then I have two periods of hip-hop, followed by drama, and tonight I am doing pool duty (watch kids swim make sure they don't drown) and finally I am chaperoning the grade6-8 dance.

Allan continues to send me horrid emails about reconciliation, and how I am throwing everything away and how I am so horrible, and why am I doing this...

Bits and Pieces about Life in Cairo
We have three or four taxi drivers who know us now and who we usually ride with, there is Magdi, Wagdi, and Georges, and then a fellow whose name escapes me but whom I refer to as Crazy hair. He comes his hair up from the base of his neck forward over his forehead, and he isn't balding this is just a unique fashion statement.

I have discovered the best chocolate bar ever the brand name is milka, and their caramel bar is freakin' orgasmic! I am going to try and bring some home with me.

The cost of having things tailored here is miniscule so most of the teacher's have copies made of their favorite articles of clothing. We went to attaba the other day to pick up some of the made items, and we had to walk through this massive street market it was amazing. Everything was available for sale there, strange exorscist-like demon dolls wearing pink teddy bear suits, vegetable magnets, high fashion shoes, strange angry Arabic music, burned corn, glasses, tea, etc etc.

Everything here is inexpensive, you can live very well off of a relatively low Canadian salary. Teachers here who are making $23,000 a year are able to save $6000-$10,000 a year. And these are teachers who do not live poorly, they eat out, take taxis, buy souveniers, and travel to other parts of Africa.

No comments: