Saturday, May 31, 2008

Climb Every Mountain

I climbed Mt.Sinai this weekend.

We ledt Cairo Thursday evening and took an eight hour bumpy bus ride out into the Sinai desert. We stayed at a great little place called Fox Camp where the local Bedouin manage a hostel/desert camp for budget travellers. The man in charge is Valerie's contact for the Bedouin, his name is Farag. Farag looks like a Bedouin version of David Hasselhoff, its weird.

Anyway the first day we went out and met up with families that Valerie and her goat program has provided goats for, and it was incredible. The goats make such a difference in the lives of these people.

Later that afternoon we went out to the St. Catherine's monastary, home of the famed burning bush and Moses' well.

And then in a fit of insanity I got up at 2am and climbed Mt.Sinai. It was amazing. When you climb the mountain you go with a guide, and they take you up one of many different routes to the apex. Anyway my guide was an ass, he walked too quickly and was impatient with my asthma, while trying to keep up with him I slipped fell, bruised my bottom, my pride, and now my tailbone really smarts. Anyway the reason we left at 2am was because that allowed us enough time to arrive t the top in time to watch the sun rise, which was glorious.

And then I lost my guide.

Which was awesome because as previously mentioned...ass!! Anyway I picked a route followed it and made my own way down the mountain and through the valley back to Fox Camp, when I got back I was on a high for the rest of the day, just an amazing experience. When I arrived at school this morning one of the kids asked me what I did over the weekend
Me: Climbed a mountain!!

I am going to call Allan tonight, he keeps sending me emails about working it out but I am so over this whole scenario!!

1 comment:

Brilm said...

You are my hero. No, seriously. On my bad days, when the kids are insane, I fall over, someone is a punk, I think of all that you're doing and experiencing and tell myself to just suck it up already.

You are most wickedly awesome!