Friday, May 23, 2008

Bits and Pieces

I have been doing very well. Last week I taught 4 out of 5 days. On the day when I wasn't paid to teach I taught three drama classes. Our work weeks in Egypt go from Sunday to Thursday it is a little hard to get used to at first. Had a funny moment yesterday when I was subbing for the grade four teacher. One of the darling girls wandered up to a grade 9 student and said "I will kick you till you bleed!!" Nice.

This Saturday is the big Spring Fling, our school's massive bazaar. I will be supervising the pony ride tent. There is a genuine Egyptian pop star coming to play at the school I think his name is Remy Habra.

Cairo Quirks
Taxis are very cheap here it costs about $50 pounds to drive around for an hour and a half which translates to $10 Canadian.
You are expected to tip everyone for everything.
The hot water that comes out of the hot water tap is almost boiling there is no burn protection.
The metro (subway) has a special car designated just for women, that men are not allowed to ride on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Saw on Facebook, you okay?

I made Mr. Carr happy, told him about you teaching drama there... loves it, although of course still has to mention damn peg leg... obsessed, I tell you! But very happy for you.