Monday, October 27, 2008

Lingua Franca

I honestly don't know what is going on in my head. When I was in Egypt I started using Arabic words to replace English in order to improve my Arabic. Now that I am back in Canada I find myself still wanting to use the Arabic AND pidjin, what the heck??!! There are just some phrases that work better in other languages. For instance I love the Arabic word Yallah, it means hurry up, come on, lets go, move your ass. It is short, and to the point-not unlike myself. The same is true for pidjin, I have to keep myself from using pidjin phrases, but why now? Weird. So if you hear me mutter something you don't understand the next time you see me, its not the devil - I am not speaking in tongues rather I'm just a little linguisitically challenged at the moment.

No comments: