Thursday, October 2, 2008

Just for the record

I like nicknames and I like most of mine.

When I was tiny wee I was given the moniker Gnome. I like being called Gnome, I associate it with family and friends and with special times in my life. Feel free to call me Gnome.

When I was in the Solomons Peter nicknamed me Yankee 4-eyes. 4-Eyes needs no explanation. Yankee came from his warped sense of humour after he discovered how little I liked being mistaken for an American. You can try and call me this but I won't respond well, perhaps a middle finger or a pie launched in your general direction.

When I went to Frances Kelsey high school there was already a Naomi there so Mr. Carr gave me a new nickname Peg. It was kind of cute, I played a peg legged pirate in the play. I see people from that time in my life every now and then and they can't remember my real name but if I say Peg they smile in recognition. That year at the awards ceremony they gave me an award and retired my leg (like they do with athletes jerseys). I don't mind being called Peg, I don't love it, but I don't hate it.

When I entered University there was a very funny girl named Jamie who labeled me Nomi. We had a guest proff one day and we were going around introducing ourselves, he asked me who I was, and before I could say anything Jamie said "Thats Nomi and shes cute." I don't mind this nickname.

Mark started calling me Gnomes and other people picked up on it. Of all my nicknames this is the one I like the least, I really don't want to be called this. For some reason or other I find it offensive.

And last and not quite least of this non-comprehensive list of nicknames is ... Nanaimo Bar!! My grade four teacher thought that calling me this until I got ten out of ten on our spelling quizzes would be motivation to do better. Didn't work, in case you were wondering, I was rather independently minded when it comes to spelling - still am!

1 comment:

Lindsie said...

WHAT ABOUT "NAMOOL"